Smith's Diamond Retractable Sharpener features an unbreakable, diamond coated steel rod, which is specially designed to sharpen all types of knives, including serrated. Multiple layers of medium grit, monocrystallin diamonds makes sharpening quick and easy, while still giving you that razor sharp edge on your knives, tools, or hooks. The rod is reversible and can be adjusted to variable lengths. It has a sharpening groove for hooks and a shirt pocket slip for easy storage. The unit is light, compact, and durable.
- Loosen the metal screw cap and pull the diamond rod out to the desired length and then securely retighten the metal screw cap so that the rod will not move.
- No lubricant is required.
- Store rod in handle with tapered end down when finished sharpening.
- Clean rod after each use with a dry cloth or dry soft toothbrush.
- You can use either the tapered round rod or the half-round rod to sharpen youjr flat edged knifes, but we recommend using the half round rod for best results.
- Always hold the handle with the rod facing down. Place heel of the blade on the diamond rod closest to the screw cap.
- Hold blade at manufacturers suggested angle.
- While applying pressure, push the knife away from you towards the end of the rod. Draw knife down so that the tip of the blade comes off the end of the rod.
- For the other side of the blade repeat the above steps.
- Use the specially designed tapered round rod for serrated edges.
- Only sharpen the side of your knife-edge with the serrations.
- Hold rod at manufacturers suggested angle and move it back and forth through each serration until sharp.
Place hook in groove and move back and forth until sharp.